Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

How to . . . move from Wordpress to Blogger

While I know pretty much none of my readers will be interested in this post, I must write it for any other lost souls out there searching the internet for instructions on how to move their own blog from Wordpress to Blogger.

When I googled "how to move blog from Wordpress to Blogger," I got a TON of articles/blog posts/etc. about moving from Blogger to Wordpress, but a very limited selection of instructions for leaving Wordpress to go to Blogger. (Apparently it is very easy to go to Wordpress, but more difficult to leave it!) That is, until I found this website: Wordpress2Blogger Conversion.

It is really simple:
  1. Login to your WordPress account and navigate to the Dashboard for the blog that you'd like to transfer to Blogger.
  2. Scroll down the left-hand navigation bar to Tools and click on it.
  3. Underneath Tools, 'Import,' 'Export,' and 'Delete Site' are listed. Click on the Export link.
  4. Choose your filters and download the WordPress WXR export file by clicking on Download Export File. Save this file to your local machine.
  5. Then, using Wordpress2Blogger Conversion, browse to that saved document and click Convert
  6. Save the converted file to your local machine.
  7. From there, you can log-in to Blogger, click on the Create a Blog link from the user dashboard, and then click on the Import Blog Tool and follow the instructions. 
  8. OR, if you are like me and already created your blog, you can log-in to Blogger, and go to Settings for the blog on your Dashboard. The first options under the Basic tab are to 'Import,' 'Export,' and 'Delete Blog,' so go ahead and Import the converted file you saved.
Voila!

Now, I had read that by doing this, you would lose all of your blog's comments and that was a consequence I was willing to take, but I actually didn't lose any of my blogs comments!

However, you will lose your stats and whatnot, since it is a whole new url/blog, but again, I didn't mind that. ALSO, the Wordpress2Blogger Conversion only allows downloads smaller than 1MB (I've read that 1MB is about 50 posts), so if you have a lot of posts, you might have to export, convert, and import multiple times to migrate all of it. Lastly, I did have to go through my posts to verify that the formatting and images looked ok, which took a little bit extra time, but all-in-all it was a SUPER easy switch. AND, I am SUPER glad that I did it!

I hope this helps anyone out there as lost and nervous as I was making this switch!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...