Pages

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Happy (late) Administrative Professionals' Day!

Happy (late) Administrative Professional's Day to all of my fellow admins out there! I know, I'm a day late in posting about a "hallmark" holiday, but, for all of those admins out there whose bosses, like mine, don't even seem to know that such a day exists, being a day late isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, right?

I know that all of my non-admin readers are probably wondering why I am writing a post like this, and I'll tell you that it's for two reasons:

First, If you're an admin out there, you get it. I believe, and I bet my fellow admins out there will vouch for me in saying this, that we spend a majority of our time, anywhere from 50-90% of it, playing babysitter to the most spoiled and idiotic offices/bosses. We also waste about that much time doing menial tasks that a monkey could perform. Why college degrees are required for these positions (and a graduate degree in my case), I have no idea.

Not an admin and have no idea what I'm talking about? I'll give you some examples from my own personal archive of experiences . . . I was once told that I put the mail routing-post-it on the wrong part of the magazine cover (because that's apparently very important). I probably gave my boss my cell phone number 100 times, and yet I was still asked for it (because it can't be programmed into their own cell phone?). Lastly, a boss once came into my office and asked for me to turn down the temperature on the A/C unit in their window because they couldn't figure it out (it's the "down" button, in case you were unsure).

Anyhow, being an admin is sometimes a really crummy and under-appreciated job. Now, don't get me wrong, I have had some fantastic employers, ones that gave me, a part-time worker, thoughtful going-away parties and even great bonuses (I still wonder why I left sometimes). But, there are always some crummy days where you truly wonder if a monkey could be hired to do your job and you question the intelligence of all of your co-workers and bosses, especially if they have PhDs.

That's why I bask in the wonderfulness Administrative Professionals' Day, even if the office I'm working for doesn't recognize it. I don't care that it's a "hallmark" holiday because it's a holiday that (is supposed to) recognize the hard and tedious work of a very intelligent group of people that makes others' lives easier, even if it's just turning down the A/C. Only admins truly know what kind of mess our offices and bosses would be in without us, am I right?

So, if you aren't an admin, give yours a cupcake or something, or just take it easy on them for a day. If you are an admin, treat yo' self like I did last night (15% off dinner and dessert? Yes, please!).

Treat yo'self! (follow me on Instagram)

Also, the other reason I am writing this post is to let you all know (if you don't already) that this Admin Day will most likely be last (until the unforeseeable future). I will be leaving my current job in two weeks to start teaching!! I'll be teaching a reading program this summer and I'm definitely looking forward to the experiences I will gain from this next chapter in my life. Hopefully it will help me in finding a full-time teaching position next school year! (Which, if you remember, is one of my 2012 goals!) Don't worry either, I'm not missing out on a hallmark holiday, there's a Teacher Appreciation Day!

I'll never forget my admin-days though, trust me. So, to all of the admins that I will work with in the future, expect an awesome treat from me on that day, and I promise not to ask you to do stupid tasks : )




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...